Re: [Amps] SB200 on 6M

To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB200 on 6M
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 00:20:45 -0700

-----Original Message----- From: Carl
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 11:27 AM
To: Jim Thomson ; amps@contesting.com

I'm converting a SB200 for 6M. What's the best configuration for the
Anti-Parasitic Choke?

Thanks

- Paul

## dunno. BUT if the 2 watt carbon comp resistors heat up, use more of em in parallel, OR use a small 7-10-15 watt GLOBAR. You can still buy the small globars with wire leads out each end..still on their website. Dunno what the min order is though.

## On several 4-1000 HF amps from years ago, we would use five of those carbon comp resistors
in parallel...end of heating problems.

Jim  VE7RF

Having to use a high wattage resistor on such a small tube as a 572B means
you havent a clue about suppressor design, and simply use a generic brute
force method.

Carl
KM1H

### Use JUST enough L to make the suppressor work. If you use too little L, it wont work. Use too much L the resistorS will overheat, so it's a delicate balancing act. If you use MOX type resistors, they have too much L inside the resistor, so then you gotta put a cap in series with the MOX, to cancel out the internal L of the MOX.

## A U shaped suppressor, made of cu or brass will work, as will heavy gauge wire. 3 turns around a 2 watt CC will
also work, but the 2 watt CC will run hot.

## In an ideal world, IE: building from scratch, the chinese 572B would not even be on my list....for a tube for 6m, or even HF. A SB-200 6m conversion would be the ONLY time one would use a 572B on 6M.

## since doing all of this since 1972, and 38 amps later, I think I have a reasonable concept of how all of this works carl.

## two GS35B tubes will do an easy 5kw + on 6M......and no suppressor required. Its already been done and pix posted..
on the yahoo amp reflector.

later... Jim VE7RF