Re: [Amps] Advice needed for SS amp

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice needed for SS amp
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 21:17:43 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 00:44:23 +0000 (UTC), KG7HF wrote:

>Hi Bill,
>I had an amp using the MRF1500 parts, based on the commercial  Tokyo high
>power design.
>
>I also talked to the THP guys for a while at Dayton and they are phasing out
>their ARF1500 design using the Microsemi.  The reason I was told is because of
>quality issues with the parts themselves.
>
>IMHO, it may be better to go with the NXP BLF578XR since it is a 1500W part
>although it is only 50V.
>
>Paul,
>kg7hf

REPLY:

Very interesting. My original thought was the NXP part but I was tempted by
the idea of a transformerless power supply and that means way more than 50
VDC.

Do you have a schematic of your ARF1500 amp? You said MRF, but I think that
was a typo, right?

73, Bill W6WRT