[Amps] Pin 1

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Pin 1
From: Ed K0KL <edk0kl@centurytel.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 19:14:37 -0500
When I was a young broadcast engineer I learned that audio shielding should only be at one end of the cable. When wiring interconnection blocks, the shield was connected to the ground bus installed around the connection block, copper strap carried it to earth.

The other end of the cable was ungrounded, just the red and black of the pair were connected,
some bales used white and black, go figure.

The same for microphones, through XLR connections, the mike only "grounded" at the jack in
the wall/equipment/mixer/tape deck.

Some of the facilities that apprenticed my craft still used AC type plugs for mikes, XLR was just
being berthed and was a god send, singing in the streets, etc.

The object of all this was to prevent stray power/ AC/ stray current differences between equipment from finding a home through the shield, thus inducing some voltage on the wires within, hence the
dreaded /hum/.

I can only deduce this ongoing thread on impedance, ground loops (which in reality is what we have here), etc.I am sure the learned folk on this forum have duly impressed me with their great wisdom/knowledge/education/reading/use of big words/etc and all, resulting in the techno
babble that has herewith presented itself.

Just keep it simple for the old feeble minded OOOT's like me ... we want to keep out the hum.

73

ed K0KL