[Amps] SB200 Anti Parasitic Chokes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB200 Anti Parasitic Chokes
From: Paul Baldock <paul@paulbaldock.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:47:56 -0700
A few weeks ago I posted asking if anyone new the optimum Anti-parasitic chokes (APCs) to use when modifying an SB200 for 6 Meters. I received some interesting comments but no definitive answer. So I thought I would share with you what I came up.

I experiment with many different combination or R and L and came up with something very similar to the original used in the SB200. The original SB200 APC is a 47Ohm/2W Carbon Comp in parallel with about .08uH. This actually works well a 6M except the resistor get quite hot. In fact I disassembled the original APCs and found the resistors actually measured around 65Ohms probably due to age and heat stress. Based on the higher value working well I finished up with 2 x 150Ohm/3W low inductance metal film resistors in parallel with .08uH. I tried 3 in parallel and it did not make any difference so I went back to 2. These run only slightly warm

If anybody wants any info on doing the SB200 6M conversion feel free to contact me directly. No secrets here!

BTW I did remove the chokes and caps between the Grids and Ground on the 572Bs and replaced them with a direct short to ground resulting in more output power and less drive required. No flames about this please.

- Paul  KW7Y