Re: [Amps] Miller-Larson effect on thoriated tungsten filaments

To: "Mark Bitterlich" <markbitterlich@embarqmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Miller-Larson effect on thoriated tungsten filaments
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:20:58 -0400
Actually Carl, not to disagree but I saw a lot of 3-500's with "bad filiments". But in truth, they were not bad. Instead a cold solder joint had formed in the tube pins themselves.

** Mark, those were almost always due to horizontal fans and insufficient air on the filament pins. Very common in the Heath SB-220 family and a few other brands.

Resoldering them normally fixed the
problem, and so did keeping a close eye on the sockets.

** Once the nickel plating on the Johnson socket pins turned black they were beyond salvage. I dont know how many pins I bought from Johnson but I had to order 100 minimum.

When I was in the Marine Corps (which is to the Navy as is the chain on an old toilet... part of it, but not IN it), we used to modify the Collins S Lines so as to keep the filiments on ALL the tubes turned on constantly. The primary goal was to reduce drift, but the Reps from Collins also claimed it would extend the life of the tubes. Hard to make specific claims as to whether it worked or not.

** When I was in the Navy is, I believe, when the 24/7/365 rule came into play on radio gear with miniature and octal tubes. OTOH the radar along with displays and fathometer were turned off in port. This would be in the early 60's. The equipment in Emergency Radio was only turned on for exercises, PM, and me operating /MM, SWLing, or piping music and other requested items into various crew areas from the RBB most of the time.

Much ado about nothing to some.... interesting information to others.

** It made interesting reading but was more application specific to the broadcasters and others using those tubes. Also filaments improved over the decades and those that were fragile in the 30's had a long life in the 60's comparing identical designators.

RCA also made a late 30's study on useful power tube hours and concluded that running the filaments at a reduced filament voltage when in standby gave longer service, and less electric cost, than the other options but these were also tube type specific. Im sure there are additional studies from other manufacturers.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>