Re: [Amps] L4B Caution

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] L4B Caution
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 23:43:22 -0700
What is glass tape and what is it used for?

Jim Smith  VE7FO

On 2013-07-25 10:32, Ed K0KL wrote:
I had a bad experience when working on an L4B for a pal. The bleeder
resistor mounting
scheme proved to be a little poor (unusual for Drake). When reinstalled,
one of the resistors
shorted to the mounting screw.
This bleeder is held in place by a screw that goes through the center of
the resistor. Mica slices
insulate the ends (chassis and screw head). Only thing is the resistor
arced through the ceramic
base material. So I used glass tape to insulated the screw on the
reinstalled components. This
provided better spacing to the center of the screw.
Note- I replaced the resistors, having the same thing reoccur. Only with
the use of the tape did
the thing calm down. Ordinary electrical tape won't work as it will melt
caused by the heat of
the resistors.

Anyway, that was some time ago, the amp is going strong. Except for a
rather weak plate
transformer, this puppy will no doubt last several lifetimes.