Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp VDD supply

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp VDD supply
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:06:02 +0930
I can in principle concur with your 3 salient points here Manfred.

However, as I said in a recent post an amateur / ham could consider doing
such an abominable thing in a one-off homebrew project; but directly
rectifying the AC power mains would never pass regulatory approval for
commercial equipment sale in most jurisdictions as the rules have tightened
up in recent years, particularly in respect of a DC and harmonic components
going back into the mains, and power factor requirements mandated by CISPR,
CENELEC, EN standards, IEC, etc. For these reasons we're unlikely to see
such a dubious direct AC mains rectification scheme deployed in the QRO amp
commercial marketplace.

I would also not wish sacrifice the immense superiority of TLT xfmrs for
conventional RF xfmrs to provide the necessary robust electrical isolation
from the potentially lethal AC mains supply. Facilitating robust AC mains
electrical isolation in a traditional flux coupled RF transformer covering
the entire 1.8 to 30 MHz HF range is nontrivial and somewhat problematic.

Achieving the requisite isolation with coupling / blocking capacitors is a
risk as they have a propensity to fail...and not in a failsafe manner :-(

In summary such schemes whilst seemingly attractive and tempting to do on
the surface of things have many ugly hairs growing on them that make them
unattractive.

BTW Manfred, I really like your succinct piece titled "Output architectures
of conventional class AB push-pull amplifiers" at:

http://ludens.cl/Electron/mosfetamps/amps.html

I concur with what you say here about how circuit design misinformation is
perpetuated.

73

Leigh
VK5KLT