Re: [Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, s

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, supply
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 18:43:02 +0200
Manfred,

I am afraid you are missing my point. What you can do safely as a professional
engineer is not the same as the average amateur building at home. For example,
getting the necessary spacing between PCB tracks, making an RF transformer
which meets a 2kV breakdown - these are things (and not the only ones) that the
average homebrewer could get into trouble with. Especially if they take any
short cuts such as deciding to earth the neutral.

Many years ago now, there was an article in QST entitled "Just like the QST
article except...": it went into how people made minor changes to the published
design and had problems.

I could see the same article being required again......

While to see one result of an inadvertent earthing
http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Barnham1962.pdf

73

Peter G3RZP