Re: [Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, s

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, supply
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 17:50:52 -0400
On 9/18/2013 9:43 AM, Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:

I think that the reluctance of some people to accept line-connected
electronics stems only from gut feeling, and not from a cool-headed
analysis of the advantages and disadvantages.

My reluctance comes from finding I couldn't let go of a radial wire tied to a ground rod. If it's strong enough that you can't let go..IT HURTS!

The culprit? A Yaesu FT101B that had an extra generous solder joint on the (2 wire) connection to the mains. The rig ground was some ground rods outside the basement wall and the ground at the antenna that were about 130 to 150 feet apart.

Normally the chassis was not hot, but you could push the power connector to one side with very little pressure from one finger. Actually, setting the rig on its side was enough to make the connection.

That was in the late 60s or when ever the 101B came out.

Yes, today we'd make sure that the earth ground for the station is also tied into the house electrical ground, or most of us would, but not all. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) at some of the station electrical hookups and set-ups to service high powered amps I've seen by old timers. It scares me that many of the new comers see these setups.

So my reluctance is not from a gut feeling, but a lot of pain from nearly being electrocuted and with the direct hookup it is very easy for a small mistake, or bad connection to create the same situation.

BTW I put one lead from me Simpson 250 on the ground rod at the antenna and the other as far out into the yard as the two leads would allow and measured over 90 volts. The house electrical ground was mid way between the antenna ground and station ground.

73

Roger  (K8RI)