Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, supp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, supply
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:18:01 -0700
On 9/19/2013 8:37 AM, Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:

the near electrocution you describe was due to several concurrent problems: The short circuit due to a poor solder job, lack of a ground fault interrupter, and poor grounding of the equipment.

And that is PRECISELY why safety regulations are written as they are. I'm a member of the Audio Engineering Society Standards Committee, member of several working groups, and vice-chair of the WG on EMC. Most of those who participate are from NA and EU. These working groups consist of MANY very smart and experienced engineers, and the deliberations that produce our standards involve working through a lot of "what if" situations.

Likewise, I worked for more than 15 years as a consultant designing sound systems for public buildings, as part of an architectural design team typically consisting of engineers from a dozen or more disciplines. We also worked through a lot of "what if" conditions, and each of us had the experience of having one of our own ideas shot down for very good reasons we hadn't thought of.

The world tragedy at the Fukushima nuclear facility is an excellent example of the failure of that sort of process -- electrical power was critical to cooling the reactors, there were multiple generators and backup generators, but all were at lower levels that flooded, so they all failed, and all the reactors turned into disasters.

Most people I know consider human life safety vastly more important than building power amplifiers in a manner that makes them a bit cheaper or more efficient. There are very good reasons for these safety standards and codes. Only a fool would ignore them.

73, Jim K9YC