Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp VDD, suppl

To: <donroden@hiwaay.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp VDD, supply
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:18:50 +0300
One thing to be stressed is:
        RFI/EMC issues have NOTHING to do with the existence of the input
transformer.
        All equipment is required to have RF bypassing at the mains input.
That's been true since before I was born, and that quite a time by now.
        Schaffner and a lot of others have grown rich by selling RFI filters
to all and sundry
If you stick to accepted rules we've been using for years, at least you
won't do any worse that before. You can always improve on that, but beware:
it's like the EL lamps story: more efficient, less noisy more compact but
nobody told you cheaper to make and more expensive to buy. Who exactly
profits? All this trend to throw the manufacturers' mishaps on the buyer
have to have an end .....
        The safety issue is settled at the transformers: even the most
stringent VDE standards call for about 2500 v withstand voltage, easily
achieved with Formvar wire, Teflon insulated wire or reasonable quality
coax.
All you have to do is use your head when you poke inside the enclosure. Like
Heinlein said:" you learn and live. Or you don't".
Alex    4Z5KS