Re: [Amps]  Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps]  Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 03:13:19 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 10:10:06 +0930, you wrote:

>Yes all that you mention below is correct Jim. That's why I commented in an
>earlier post that an individual QRO amp builder would get away with doing
>this questionable 3 kW power supply realization technique, but no commercial
>SS amp manufacture would be able to do this due to the electrical codes in
>respect of EU power factor rules and product compliance certification.

REPLY:

Power factor correction is an area I am a bit hazy on. Could someone explain
why the power factor would be different between a direct-rectified PS and a
transformer-isolated one? Either one charges the capacitors with a series of
pulses. What's the difference in power factor?

73, Bill W6WRT