Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,

To: "'Manfred Mornhinweg'" <manfred@ludens.cl>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 08:46:06 +0300
Yes!
First of all, there is not so much of a difference between a transformer
power supply and a PFC: the both are based on an inductive input element- a
transformer primary here, and a series inductor there.
Second, the PFC does not allow the input current to assume whatever value it
wants, but it forces the successive peaks of the switching wave forms to
Follow a sinusoidal curve AT THE MAINS FREQUENCY!
Being usually of a boost- flyback- topology it can generate the required
output from input voltages lower than the output so that it can draw current
from the input during a greater part of the input alternance time. Hence,
the averaged peak current is lowered (longer conduction time),and averaging
the switching wave form causes the input wave form to approximate a
sinusoidal law, thereby reducing twice-line-frequency and higher harmonics.
I hope this helps:
Alex    4Z5KS