[Amps] LF oscillation caused by defective plate choke?

To: "'Amps'" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] LF oscillation caused by defective plate choke?
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 07:46:31 -0400
Several months ago I inquired about a problem with my 4CX1500B 160-10m amplifier. The initial symptom was a welded vacuum relay while operating on 12 meters. I replaced the relay and subsequently discovered a LF oscillation in the 400-500 kHz range. This would happen on all bands with certain (very broad) settings of the tune and load capacitors. The LF oscillation would vary over roughly a 100 kHz range with the tune and load caps. There wasn't any obvious sign of the cause. The amp had behaved well for 9 years since its construction.

My station had to be disassembled for home repair and renovation before I got to the bottom of this. I recently got back to it and discovered, after removing the plate choke, it has developed some rather odd irregularities. The choke is a close copy of the multi-section choke that is or was in the ARRL handbook. The first and second sections from the hot end appeared to have small sections of enamel missing from the wire. Additionally, there was some minor blackening of the ceramic form in the gap between those two sections of winding. Visually there did not appear to be any shorted turns and I thought this didn't look serious enough to cause the amp problems. However since the choke had visibly changed, I decided it must be replaced.

While waiting for the new choke to arrive I was doing some testing. While trying to tune the amp on 40 meters it developed a new symptom. Upon reaching about 700 watts out, the power output suddenly dropped off sharply to less than 200 watts. It wouldn't cone back up without reducing drive to a very low level and then bringing it back up. When drive was brought back to a level sufficient to produce 700 watts out the sharp drop would happen every time.

Yesterday I installed a new Ameritron plate choke. I tested the amp on all bands. Power output was as expected with no apparent sign of instability. I varied the tune and load capacitors through their full range on every band, in particular testing the combinations that had resulted in LF oscillation before. I could find no sign of it. As far as I can tell, all is back to normal. One thing I did notice is the plate tune capacitance is somewhat different than it used to be on all bands - even 160. It isn't a drastic difference, but very noticeable since I had all the old band presets memorized. It is a vacuum variable with turns counter, so even small variations are easily recognized.

I remain puzzled as to exactly what malfunction of the original choke would have caused LF oscillation. I am somewhat paranoid the plate choke wasn't the whole story, but I can find nothing else wrong. Time will tell, I guess.

73,
Paul