Re: [Amps] Alpha 76A - 120hz hum on 160m only

To: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>, "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 76A - 120hz hum on 160m only
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 19:43:24 -0700
Hi Bill,

It's definitely on the on-air signal. I worked several stations on 160M AM, (100W carrier, 400W PEP) into two different antennas and all said the hum was very loud. Move to 75M or higher and it disappears.

I know what you mean about hum modulation on the power line and local receivers, but this is strong enough that it almost wipes a transmitted SSB signal out mixing with it, and CW signal is nasty. (strongly distorted to receiving station at distance)

Also - I took a look at the plate choke this afternoon and it doesn't
appear to have been overly hot. There's no discoloration of the enamel
on the wire, or puddles of anything at the base. Now one of the .002 bypass caps *does* look like it's been warm, though. It has that "wet"
look they get when the outside coating has been heated and cooled.

Investigation in progress. :-)

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI