Re: [Amps] Alpha likes to remain on

To: "Gary@ka1j.com" <gary@ka1j.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha likes to remain on
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 13:06:53 +0000
Aging Alpha amps with the push button pop-out switches are a bear to find and
to replace.  The larger problem other than unavailable part and wear failure is
that with the pop-out design, u can not just replace one of the gang.

On relay contacts and Morse keys, I start with a piece of clean typing/printer
paper and put that between the open contacts and then push them closed trapping
the paper between them.  Then, pull the paper out, wiping both upper and the
lower contacts.  You can do this a number of times until the paper remains
clean afterward.

That very gentle solution sometimes works.  If not, then u are into very very
fine emery cloth from a jeweler.

I suspect a sick switch but relay is also possible, as you know.  73

Charles Harpole
k4vud@hotmail.com