Re: [Amps] HV fuses

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV fuses
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 01:13:16 -0400
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 05:38:56 +0000
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
To: Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>, "Amps@contesting.com"
<Amps@contesting.com>

    This does not sound right. I assume you are saying that they are glass
fuses.
I suspect if you blow one in a HV powe rsupply it will shatter or explode into
pieces if
you have a reasonable value of filter capacitor.  Do you have a data sheet on
these
fuses?

High voltage fuses can be glass or ceramic. Even the high voltage fuses in power substations are often glass. The only ones I've seen were about 4" in diameter 1/4" to 5/16ths " wall, and they appeared to be about 16-18 inches long (Might have been 2 feet) . IIRC they had several parallel elements and were packed with fine sand. The PS HV fuses had a glass tube around a 1/4 to 5/16ths inch in diameter and were packed with a very fine, white, quartz sand.

The engineers forgot to remove the shorting cables after we PM'd a sub. those small, HV wires with about a #16 conductor vaporized so violently there was not a sign of them left. The entire sub cabinet was 8' high X 12 ft wide X 6' deep were completely coated with a copper film. The doors were about 3' wide , had an inch and a half formed edge and were made of 1/8th inch steel. I was looking at the sub when it blew. The center of those doors arched out between 1 and 2 feet.

It blew the fuses, but they remained in tact.

The cables feeding the subs were larger than 500 MCM, but I don't remember the actual size.

Sure was loud, expensive, and embarrassing!

73

Roger (K8RI)

73
Bill wa4lav

##  why would they explode ?   Mine don’t.    The 50 ohm glitch R  LIMITS the
current..and the
HV fuse  INTERRUPTS the fault current.   BTW,  you always put the HV fuse B4
the  glitch R.   Reason is, if the glitch was damaged, and dangling down  onto
the chassis,  you
want the HV fuse INBOARD  of any glitch, so the fuse will open.
Yes, you can parallel em  for more current..and you can also  series em for
more HV.
You can also wire em series-parallel  for more current + Voltage.

##  another useful place to insert a HV fuse is between EITHER plate xfmr
secondary.....and the
FWB  or FWD.   Then if any B+ shorts  in the filter caps, or any problems
inboard of the B+ fuse,
then you are still protected.   Dirt cheap insurance.   I have seen the AC  HV
fuse blown open twice
and the B+  HV fuse blown several times... while de-bugging a new hb RF deck.

Later....    Jim   VE7RF