Re: [Amps] AL-82 opinions

To: <dave@nk7z.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-82 opinions
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 17:59:02 -0500

Hi Carl,
If in fact the Power Supply is the same as other failed Power Supplies,
then you are correct.  Maybe it is the de-rating that keeps things under
control?  Any thoughts there?

Part of it might be that some hams arent very honest and run those other amps full bore. I wont hazard a guess what percentage of big amp owners they are(-;

Nice to know the band switch is not just available from Ameritron, and
as I said, it was my fault for the failure...  Do you have a part number
for the band switch and a vendor I can get into my file for the amp.

** The switch is built by Electroswitch and is custom to the amp manufacturer needs. Maybe someone has come up with an interchange list but Ameritron usually has the best price and often it has a wafer that can be swapped to another amp.

How does it stack up compared to the Heath SB-220?
--

Since the SB-220 is only good for 600W (with added fan on xfmr) of heavy RTTY for long term reliability and Id say 1200W for the AL-82, I'll let you be the judge.

While I prefer to be on the conservative side I also have the original tubes in several of my own amps (HF to UHF) or run good used tubes. Some of the pricier types are 8122 (2 HF and 1 6M NCL-2000); 8873 (6M SB-230 for portable); 8874 ( 3 in Alpha 76PA); 8875 ( 2 in MLA 2500); 8877 (DTR-2000L and HB on 222); 8930 ( FAA amp on 432); 3CX400U7 (A pair of Eimac cavities on 903); and 3CX1000A7 (HB 2M amp).

There is also a GL-51064 in a Collins built military cavity I have on 432 but I cant run it beyond 1000W which is serious loafing. Feedlines, connectors, and relays have to be upgraded.

Carl
KM1H

Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net