Re: [Amps] "N, " "TNC" and "BNC" connectors are rated at 500 Watts and w

To: "Dr. David Kirkby" <drkirkby@gmail.com>, "Roger \(K8RI\)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "N, " "TNC" and "BNC" connectors are rated at 500 Watts and work at 1, 000 Watts as log as the load is good..
From: "Hardy Landskov" <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 09:24:04 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <drkirkby@gmail.com>
To: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Cc: "amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 5:46 AM

On 11 November 2013 08:04, Roger (K8RI) <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:
On 11/11/2013 2:03 AM, Charles Harpole wrote:

I suspect part of the problem is that they are often not assembled
properly. Often the male or female are too far forward or too far
back, which gives a less than optimal electrical contacts, and I
suspect thermal contact too.

I've got a Maury Microwave connector gage for BNC, TNC and N types. It
indicates the depth of the centre pins with a resolution of 0.001".
These gages measure the depth relative to a master block, which has
the correct depth as defined by the relevant MIL standard. The effect
of a small gap between the male and female does not have a significant
effect on the return loss below a GHz or so, but I suspect it does
have a significant impact on the thermal properties.

The crimp style male N connectors made by Amphenol now have a center pin that automatically makes the right length and centers the pin.
.

Hardy N7RT