Re: [Amps] UHF CONNECTORS AND CRIMP DIES

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] UHF CONNECTORS AND CRIMP DIES
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 09:02:53 -0500
When you look at the RFI Product Sheet for EACH coaxial connector, you are provided: Cable Group Type that connector is designed for (largely based on O.D. of coax cable);
Coaxial Cable preparation (dimensions for proper insulation cutting);
Crimp Dimension desired for Center and Outer conductor of coax cable.

Taking it a step further, I've not seen a manufacturer create a table that matches the four important pieces of information needed to ensure the job is completed correctly. (1) RF connector P/N; (2) coax type; (3) die size; and (4) multi-level stripper/prep tool(s) P/N. The last one is sorely missing from manufacturer's datasheets. This would be great information to be included on the ARRL website and/or in a future ARRL Handbook with matching CD.

Until you can align these pieces of information together, crimping several different connector/cable sizes can be very frustrating. I've wasted many connectors and many feet of coax over the years when I had to make guesses.

Paul, W9AC