Re: [Amps] blower advice?

To: g8on@fsmail.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] blower advice?
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 11:51:32 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
I used to prefer ball bearing over sleeve bearings.  I thought sleeve bearings
were old fashioned.

Years ago, I installed an airplane on my roof as a wind vane.  It was similar
to one I used to own.  The prop had ball bearings.  After about 5 years, I
noted that the entire house would rumble - from a 6" prop.  Finally, the prop
fell off and the bearing assembly was beat to death.

This time, I made some bronze bearings and things are very smooth.  I have
motors that are 100 years old with sleeve bearings and they still work fine.
Oil them regularly and they will outlast you.  The problem with ball bearing
races is that most are not designed to be relubricated.  And, I think they are
always noisier.

73,  Colin  K7FM

And, an easy way to get rid of the whine of the blower is to go out and spend a
lot of time on the shooting range without ear protection, or fly helicopters
without a headset.