Re: [Amps] PARALLEL CAPS IN OUTPUT

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] PARALLEL CAPS IN OUTPUT
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 20:39:50 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2013 1:54 PM
Subject: [Amps] PARALLEL CAPS IN OUTPUT

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 10:21:59 -0500
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>

##  For folks with a PI net, make sure you use a piece of 50 ohm coax
between the load cap and the TR relay.
And with shield bonded to chassis at BOTH ends.   If wire or cu strap is
used instead...then u end up with a huge Z bump.

** The coax isnt long enough to act as a transmission line at HF....in most
amps anyway.

#### OK, do it ur way. Use a chunk of bare wire, strap etc..and watch the PI net load cap values change asap. Ditto with coax...and only 1 end of shield bonded to
chassis.

###  strap, wire, etc is NOT 50 ohms, not even close.  Try it urself.

That alone will put the load cap at something higher than a 50 ohm
point... increasing the peak V.  On 10m band, the
stray L  of a piece of wire instead of coax  will make the PI  now appear
as a PI-L.... putting the load cap at a much
higher Z point.   same deal peak V increases.     Now with a wide open on
the ant, coax cable etc, the load cap
will weld shut.

**  All the coax does is act as a shielded cable with some value of C.
At 10M even 1/10 wave of cable is 1.6' so it is invisible as coax.

##### I don’t believe it for a second. Of course, I have tried it both ways. Replacing the junk typ used from load cap to TR relay will solve..and has
solved all sorts of issues.

Later....... Jim   VE7RF

With all your bluster you still dont get it. All you are using is a short piece of shielded cable, impedance has no bearing since it is too short to present a meaningful reactance.
Your load cap change is due to the added C to ground of that shielded cable.

Having it is beneficial if the cable is long or passes near other circuitry such as the input. Lift the RG-8 shield on a SB-220 and see what happens. A high percentage of the ones I get thru here have cold solder joints which will do wonders for stability.

Carl