Re: [Amps] Is this tube anygood  for a monoband 80meter GG amp

To: Jeff Pederson <kd4lyh@yahoo.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Is this tube anygood  for a monoband 80meter GG amp
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 22:08:27 +0100
Short answer is "No". A mu of 20 is too low to be very useful in GG. As a
swamped grid driven, grounded cathode Class AB2 amplifier with shunt regulated
bias supply, quite possibly, although you would need to look carefully at how
much swamping you need, which may push the drive requirements too high. Or you
could tune and resistance load the grid and neutralise and run AB2 with a shunt
regulated bias supply.

In general, tubes meant for industrial heating have low mu because it gives
less variation of grid current with load, and they are mostly run as self
excited oscillators.

73

Peter G3RZP

 Message Received: Dec 15 2013, 05:48 PM