Re: [Amps] Dual 8877 HF amplifier RF design

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dual 8877 HF amplifier RF design
From: Jim W7RY <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 14:11:28 -0800
Denis....

I've used both the WD7S triode board (in my current 8877 amplifier) and the G3SEK board in my 3CX800 amplifier. I would use the G3SEK board over the WD7S board but Ian's board doesn't have a filament timer or built or power transformer which I like on the WD7S board. This said, Ian's board is a bit smaller than the WD7S board. Both boards work very well and are both well designed. I don't use the hot switching detection on the WD7S board but I may add it in the future. In a mulit contesting station, RF can feed from one station to the other and prevent the amplifier from transmitting. (The Ten-Tec Titan was famous for this problem).

I also used the WD7S tuned input board on both of my amplifiers with some changes. Please see all of my pictures here for some ideas:

http://s900.photobucket.com/user/w7ry/library/?sort=3&page=0

Getting 10 meters to work with 2 tubes is going to be tricky. You will probably have to use a L-C-L-C arrangement to be able to get the minimum plate tune C down to an achievable level.

Not sure why you need 2ea 8877 tubes but to each their own. In my opinion, the 8877/3CX1500 or its tougher brother, the 3CPX1500 is probably the BEST tube for an amateur linear amplifier.

Input and output antenna relay switching is also important. I have a writeup in the 2014 Radio Amateurs Handbook (chapter 24) about antenna relay sequencing thoughts.

Sounds like a great project! Keep us in the loop on your progress.
73
Jim W7RY