[Amps]  negative screen current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps]  negative screen current
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 16:36:16 -0700

Kerry,

Your explanation about secondary emission seems reasonable, except for  the
idea that electrons ?caught? by the screen correspond to a negative screen
current.  Unless I?m grossly mistaken (always a possibility!) the only way
to have a negative screen current is for the screen to emit electrons, not
capture them.

Just to clarify the sign convention, if a milliammeter is placed in series
with the screen voltage supply and the screen pin of the tube socket, with
the positive lead of the meter attached to the power supply, then a positive
screen current corresponds to electric current that flows from the power
supply into the screen grid. A negative screen current thus corresponds to
current that flows into the power supply and which comes from the screen
grid.

I know at first blush it may seem reasonable to think that electrons
captured by the screen grid flow out the screen into the power supply, and
that this electron flow corresponds to a negative screen current. But, alas,
that logic is flawed, because it fails to take into account the fact that
electrons have a negative charge.  Electrons flowing out of the screen grid
into the power supply actually correspond to a positive screen current.

When a screen current meter deflects in the negative direction, it means
that electrons are flowing  from the power supply into the positive meter
terminal, through the coil in the meter, and out the negative meter terminal
into the screen grid, where they are subsequently emitted. Captured
electrons cause the meter to deflect in the positive direction.

73,

Jim W8ZR

  _____