Re: [Amps] Weird tubes in an amplifier

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Weird tubes in an amplifier
From: k7fm <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:33:18 -0800

On 01/28/14 9:00 PM, MU 4CX250B wrote:
When I was a kid I built a linear amp running four 6AG7s, from an
article in CQ. The author had discovered that the nominal 3W plate
dissipation of the 6AG7 could be pushed to 100W. The tubes  got
so hot the black paint blistered. As I recall, the tube life was
measured in minutes,
I built that amplifier. The 6AG7 actually has 9 watts of plate dissipation. I ran 4 of them at 100 watts output for many months and never changed out the tubes - and did not have air on them. In fact I still have the amplifier and am going to restore the home brew 5 watt ssb transmitter that I built. Just looked at it the other day. I stole the Collins mechanical filter for use in a 51J-3 bur found a 455 kHz usb filter that will work. The usb filter is almost symmetrical and I just need to change the crystal oscillator frequencies a bit, but will have it back on the air. The only problem I had was that you cannot see the plates and do not know when you have reached the limit, other than blowing them out.

You could probably put big heat sinks on them and use them to replace the conduction cooled 8874 (I think that is an 8873 or 8875 tube).

At 100 watts out for 4 and with an assumed 50% efficiency (and very low idle current running class B), I was probably dissipating 20 watts or so with each tube and the paint is still fine on original tubes. But, they did get hot. Despite 6 months of daily use, power output never dropped off.

I also remember that the power supply was 1,000 volts and on an open rack mounted power supply. IIt was a retired CAA supply. I remember it because I got across one of the 836 plate caps and it threw me across my bedroom (about 14 feet) and I hit the sliding closet doors and knocked both off their hinges. I sat there on the floor for a few minutes and decided that would never happen again. It has not (although I did manage to get across 158 volts in the HRO I am restoring just 2 days ago). Guess I never fully learned.

73,  Colin K7FM

73,  Colin  K7FM