Re: [Amps] Vacuum relay needed

To: "'Mike McCarthy, W1NR'" <lists@w1nr.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Vacuum relay needed
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 08:13:00 -0700
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. The Gigavac G12SP would do the trick (the
price is reasonable for a DPDT relay- $132) but the specs are contradictory.
On the data page the relay is touted as "2.5KW continuous at 32 MHz", but
the current rating at 32 MHz is only 1.7 Amps, which corresponds to only
about 150W.  I'm not sure which spec to believe!  I'd like to have an 8 Amp
rating (or more) at 3.5 MHz for my amp, which uses three GU-74Bs. The relay
is used to short out part of the 160m L2 coil for 80m. The voltage isn't
high, and the seitching times are irrelevant, but the relay is in the 50 ohm
part of the circuit, where the RF current is high. I'll email the company
and see if they can clarify the relay specs.
73,
Jim W8ZR

SPDT