Re: [Amps] Plate Voltage Not Stable

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate Voltage Not Stable
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 22:50:15 -0500
On 2/15/2014 6:40 PM, Carl wrote:
I might add that Dentrons are notorious for bad caps blowing
transformers. Part of it is due to using only a 500pf plate choke bypass
and operating a lot on 80/160. Electrolytics do not like RF.

I had one of the low voltage caps in an almost new DTR2000 blow the can right off the cap. It hit the top of the cabinet so hard, it looked like a 38 wad cutter that had hit something hard and it was LOUD!

73

Roger (K8RI)

That meter indication is a classic for both diodes starting to break
down and caps ready to short.
Be very quick with the retest.

The comment about meter multiplier resistors are valid BUT in that amp
they used 1% precision HV resistors. OTOH the equalizing caps across
each cap are garden variety carbon composition and one breaking down or
way high in value could hasten a cap failure.
Removing the lead from the HV board to plate choke will eliminate that
path.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>