[Amps] Fan Noise in GS-35B Amplifiers.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Fan Noise in GS-35B Amplifiers.
From: Robert Briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:09:26 +1100
Hi all, I have been constructing VHF amplifiers 6 and 2 meters for VK hams for a few years now..I developed my own cabinet construction technique and I incorporate a Papst 6424 HR 12-28 volt fan to pressurise and cool the Anode compartment...The air runs up through the tube cooler and exits through a Teflon chimney on the top cover..It is easy to incorporate a duel voltage switched DC power supply controlled with a relay on the PTT line to vary the fan voltage and speed on TX/RX..

I use another small muffin fan on the cathode compartment to cool the cathode and exhaust the air through the side of the amplifier..

With the big Papst fan located within the amplifier case the noise is well muffled, still, one cannot have good air flow without some noise..

Talking about water cooled GS-35B tubes...I constructed my own water jacket for a GS-35B tube in a single band 160 meter amplifier..I have run this amplifier trouble free for years..I use a 12 volt powered pond pump to circulate the water..

73..Bob..VK3ZL..