Re: [Amps] Cool Amp Silver Plating

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cool Amp Silver Plating
From: Roger <roger@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 11:39:34 -0500
On 2/28/2014 9:42 AM, Hardy Landskov wrote:
All,
Has anyone used this power? If so, what is your opinion/facts of how your
project turned out? Any special precautions needed?
Thanks ahead of time.
73 Hardy N7RT

It is a flash plating and is very thin. If you polish it to look shiny you can easily polish it right off to the base metal, so it is extremely thin. probably no more than a few microns thick. Easy to use on open surfaces and a PITA to do coils. Better to do the tubing and then wind the coil. IIRC no special tools or precautions are necessary other than common sense. NOTE. I used a lot of it, but it was in my early days as an instrument tech. (early 1960's so take with a grain of salt) I also did a lot of silver plating with both cyanide (smooth coat) and nitrates(rough coat)

Electroplating works much better, but the chemicals are dangerous. (silver cyanide) Can give off cyanide. Wear chemical gloves and face shield and do in a fume hood, or properly ventilated area.