Re: [Amps] Worst Tube Socket Ever

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Worst Tube Socket Ever
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 12:31:21 -0700
The process you describe is the only way I've been able to do it. I agree that it is a PITA. Hopefully, it does not have to be done very often.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Garland
Sent: Sunday, March 9, 2014 11:43 AM
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Worst Tube Socket Ever

Does anyone have any tips for plugging a GU74B into the mating SK1A socket.? The sosckets iin my amp are recessed below the chassis about about 1 inch, and I always have a devil of a time plugging in the tubes. There's a spring-loaded retaining ring that slides around phospher-bronze clips that press against the tube the screen ring. I think one is supposed to be able to slide the tube into the socket without removing the ring, but little clips bend easily and get in the way. The holes in the bakelite socket are not beveled, so the tube pins have to be exactly aligned with the holes or the tube won't slide it, and that's hard to do, even without the retaining ring getting in the way. They only way I've been able to insert a tube is to remove the bottom cover of the tube chassis. Then, with the retaining ring around the pick ceramic part of the tube, I slide the tube into the socket. Then I turn the amp upside down and with a pair of long-nose pliers, compress the retaining ring from below and try to get it on the outside of the spring-loaded clips. Eventually, I succeed in plugging in the tube, but it's about a half an hour of trial and error. What s stupid , stupid socket design, but I'm not aware of any equivalent replacements.

73,

Jim W8ZR