[Amps] antenna analyzer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] antenna analyzer
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2014 22:00:17 -0600
The method described below, of placing the design resistance across the tube or socket, is correct when determining if your matching and tuning are in the ballpark. It is difficult with a cavity or transmission line circuit to get the exact impedance transformation correctly measured. But you should see a dip or peak depending on what method you measure, S11 or S21 with an analyzer. The tube itself supplies the right capacitance to terminate the matching circuits and resonate on frequency. The R part is of course from the operating tube with beam inside. It is not easy to measure a circuit under high power except with just VSWR and power meters.

In the amplifiers I build at work, with high power VHF cavity circuits, it is impossible to measure the input match cold, and even worse, place a resistor where the tube is. The tube is at least 30 cm in diameter at the grid connector. Where does one place this tiny resistor? Impossible to localize and find a single spot, as the tube is symmetric in the cavity. I would need a sheet of resistance that is like the radial beam in the tube. In this case, all I can see is a slight dip in return loss on the input when it is cold. But with idling current (Izsac) the input matching is terminated by the tube cathode Z and beam is present. Then it can be seen with a network analyzer sweeping the input connector to the cavity. Not so easy for output matching.

73
John
K5PRO