[Amps] dual cavity

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] dual cavity
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 22:46:53 -0600
Yes, you can. Tune them into 50 ohm load individually. I prefer using 90 deg combiner like a branch (ring), or coupled line hybrid. Since you are dealing with a narrow band amp, these are fine, and you get away from the 100 ohm balanced resistor of a Wilkinson device. Being 4 port hybrids, you put a 50 ohm load on #4, and you can watch for wasted power when your amplifiers are not equally making power. I am combining two 2 Megawatt VHF cavity amps right now this way, and not into a perfect load of an antenna or dummy. 73
John
K5PRO

Message: 1