Re: [Amps] low pass filter fail ;)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] low pass filter fail ;)
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:33:54 -0600
If you model the filter in LTSpice, you can look at all the voltages and currents and see if the capacitors are up to the task.

Tom   W0IVJ

On 4/28/2014 5:34 PM, Carl wrote:
The most common cause Ive seen for filter problems is choosing the wrong cap for the job such as one designed for industrial service and not RF. I still see people using 60's TV doorknobs of 500pf 30-40KV in a 1500W + HF amp; even in parallel they literally come apart.

Jims comment about parallel caps is also valid; my 3CX1000A7 1500W 2M amp uses 6 100pf 7.5KV HT-58 size caps for the split plate line and has been holding up fine for 25+ years with no tuning drift.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>