Re: [Amps] low pass filter fail

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>, "'Ian White'" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>, "'Benedikt Sveinsson'" <benedikt@ok.is>
Subject: Re: [Amps] low pass filter fail
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 15:08:14 +0100
VE7RF wrote:
>##  whoa.  The amp generates harmonics.... it doesn’t amplify harmonics
>from the driver.

Sorry, I didn't meant to imply that. What I meant to say was "You should only
need to attenuate the harmonics of the signal frequency". The PA will not
generate any other signals in between those harmonics, which is why a
multiple-notch filter may be an easier option than a classic lowpass.

G3RZP wrote:
>Can you get 43 + 10log P dB attenuation (not exceeding 70dB) for each harmonic
>up to the 10th using stubs?
>(as required by ERC/REC 74-01)

The answer will obviously depend on the type of PA including its output
matching network, as well as the performance of the filter that follows. 144MHz
DXers tend to operate within a narrow frequency range, so a stub filter can
easily provide notches of 40dB at the harmonic frequencies, and closer to 50dB
with a little care. The stubs for 2f, 3f, 4f and 5f will also provide notches
at 6f and 9f, so a 144MHz version will cover every harmonic up to 1GHz. That
still cannot guarantee regulatory compliance, of course... but it is a big step
along the way.

73 from Ian GM3SEK