Re: [Amps] Using computer CPU coolers on GI46b triode ?

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Using computer CPU coolers on GI46b triode ?
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 18:55:57 +0000
  I once made a heat sink for 4 6AG7 tubes by drilling out a large block of
aluminum boring
holes in it aprox. 1 in dia and using a tungsten tipped saw blade cut slots for
fins. Worked
well. Somewhere I have some heat sinks for some 8072's ( 8122 without fins)
used in
a 500 watt plasma generators. Some were made of sheet metal, and others were
machined
blocks, both were forced air cooled, neither worked very well. The manufacturer
had to
can the product. They were not reliable. At that time 8072's were much cheaper
than 8122s.
 I would not recommend use of heat pipes like those used in many computers. A
computer has
to dissipate much less heat than a power tube.

73
Bill wa4lav