Re: [Amps] A simple route to a 28V mobile HF amplifier?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] A simple route to a 28V mobile HF amplifier?
From: nx7u@nx7u.net
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:59:02 -0500
Bill,
An interesting point about SOAR.

Looking further, I notice some inconsistencies.

Both Motorola and Philips/NXP publish SOAR curves for their RF FETs.

Motorola SOAR curves follow Id,max all the way down to Vds=0.

However, Philips shows a "current may be limited by Rds,on" region to the upper left (low Vds, high Id). In all the examples I've seen, the current limiting begins at Vds=4V (no matter the rated Vds of the device). To me, this implies that you should not drive the FET hard enough so that Vds drops below 4V, which has a direct effect on how much power you can extract from a device.

I suppose the simple route is to play it safe and call Vds=4V the minimum (and therefore for a nominal 28V supply, the peak swing is now 24V), but it's curious why there is a difference between the two vendors.

An example pair of parts to examine would be the MRF173 and the BLF246. Both are 28V and 80W parts.