[Amps] solid state relays

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] solid state relays
From: "glenn riccio" <gfriccio@hughes.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:51:51 -0700
Hello all , I'm in the process of collecting components for another GG amp I
am building.

  I have some questions on the hv power supply. I'm building a very
conventional supply. Most schemes use a big ole contactor and power resistor
for the soft start circuit on the primary side ( of course) . Has any one
tried using a solid state soft start relay instead ? Crydom has several that
I'm considering. They all need DC for the input switching , but could just
build a little 12v dc supply for it. I'm using a big Variac in the primary
side and don't want a conventional contactor because it might kick out at
lower voltage settings. Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks , Glenn
K7GFR