Re: [Amps] 3CX3000s

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX3000s
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:10:25 -0400
On 10/17/2014 4:08 PM, Carl wrote:
Remote it in another room as can be done with the Henry 8K.

My only complaint is they are so darn big. Even with the remote power supply the RF deck is big. I've seen some nice construction, but they lack the finish and still look home made. Of course, you get what you pay for and the Ameritrons look like home built to me, but with a good coat of paint. Probably why I get so few projects finished. I end up with a pile of Aluminum from changing the layout as I go.

As you say, the 3CX3000s only take a breeze to stay cool at the legal limit as does the YC-156 and no socket, but man do they take a pile of fuel to light the fire. Just like thoroughbreds in harness, raring to be let loose instead of being held to a walk, or maybe a trot now and then. Like the horses, they do make a bit of noise when let loose<:-))

If building, it doesn't take that much more to build a remote tuning panel, or go auto tune. The only examples of those I've seen, really looked home brew.

73

Roger (K8RI)

OTOH at "legal" power not as much air is needed. (-;

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: <donroden@hiwaay.net>