Re: [Amps] Long stored SB-220

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Long stored SB-220
From: Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP/K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 08:32:32 +0200
It certainly wouldn't hurt to remove the tubes and bring it up on a variac to reform the capacitors.

The best thing to do with the tubes is to build a device that will let you apply a variable plate voltage so you can slowly degas the tubes. You want to let the plates glow a dull red for some time to activate the gettering process, and if you can do this at a lower voltage, that's safer. Then you can increase the voltage to make sure that the tubes are OK before putting them in the amplifier.

If you want to be a little less cautious, you could start the amp in CW position and either reduce the bias enough to produce enough standing plate current to redden the plates or run it into a dummy load with a small amount of drive (I suppose it wouldn't hurt to detune the amp to increase the plate current) to accomplish the same thing.

You want to be sure that you have a glitch resistor in series with the plate supply just in case there is flashover. But you should have this anyway.