[Amps] Update on Tube Sources

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Update on Tube Sources
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 23:07:17 -0700
The info below was pulled from the Oct. 2, 2004 Archives of this list. Here is a 10 year later update to this: 1) Amperex/Covimag plant in France has ceased making tubes, including glass 4-400, 3-500 types. 2) CPI/Eimac has shut down San Carlos and relocated to the Palo Alto plant with klystrons and IOTs. They reduced their in-house engineering and application support for grid tubes to minimal technical content, mostly sales. There are no new tube types being developed unless it is to support their microwave devices business.
3) Thales does not produce glass tubes.
4) Most if not all glass transmitting tubes are from China now.
What a difference a decade made....
Happy Holidays,
John
K5PRO

The Amperex glass tubes sold by Richardson Electronics are made by Covimag in
France. For example, their 3-500 and 4-400 sized tubes.While it does seem that
REL
has their fingers in a lot of vacuum tube manufacturers, there are still
independent companies out there. You can still buy direct from CPI/Eimac and get
>engineering support - but not glass tubes anymore. Telefunken and Seimens planar tubes are owned by Thales now, and Brown Boveri is also. Thales does produce glass tubes,
in the Thonon les Bains facility. I have seen them there numerous times,
although they don't have a line of amateur power tubes anymore, mostly
industrial/scientific and broadcast.
> They took on the klystron business of Philips too. E2V in UK still produces glass tubes, although again not amateur. If you are so inclinded to buy out tube manufacturing equipment, > why not go to Triton in Easton, PA and resolve what happened to the Eimac 3-500Z and other originals.
73
John
K5PRO

    Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:18:03 -0400
    From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
    Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z Recomendations
    To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>

    I,m gonna go out on a limb here but here goes. Richardson Electronics
    pulls the strings on the Eimac tubes now. They also own the brand names
    Cetron and Amperex. They private label for everyone else too. When you
    get a tube from either, you don't know where it's made at! Knowing how
    Richardson does business, they're all probably from one manufacturer in
    China. I know of one Chinese manufacturer now selling direct here in the
    US who told me they were private labeling the 3-500Z and would not tell
    me to whom! My guess was RF Parts or Richardson. I do know most
    everything you'll get under Cetron is either Russian or Chinese. Now, I
    hate to be hard on Richardson but I know for a fact who they are and how
    they operate. I used to buy 1000's of tubes through their "shady" branch
    years ago from a salesman named Bernie Guss. Bernie, told me everything
    that was going on and who was who in both the legal and illegal
    business. Richardson is the very reason you can not now buy a new
    receiving tube of any type hardly as they were who bought out the GE
    plant down in Owensburogh Kentucky. Myself and two others offered to buy
    out the tube machinery lines for two models of tubes and Richardson flat
    out refused to sell them. I asked the manager what would then happen to
    the equipment. He said," It'll be put up in mothballs with dust settling
    on it", if I recall correctly. This was done purely to raise the price
    on receiving tubes and the price doubled shortly after that. The GE
    plant is now named MPD and Richardson is the proud owner.

    What burns me about this, it's nothing but a monopoly, and the US
    government is letting them by with it! Just to put it bluntly, any name
    branded tube in the US, Richardson controls the pricing on. I cant say
    that Merit (RF Parts) buys from them but the tubes in big quantities has
    to come from somewhere. The only glass tube manufacturers that are left
    are in either Russia (Svetlana, Telsa), Yugoslavia (Phillips-EI) and
    China, with China being the prodomanent one. Chinas prodomanence is due
    to one thing, price!