Re: [Amps] Input SWR revisited

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Input SWR revisited
From: donroden@hiwaay.net
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 17:20:13 -0600
Gerald,

I am not ignorant of transmission line theory.
I maintained high power UHF klystrons for many years, and fed kilowatts out of a 50 ohm transmitter into 70 ohm 6 inch lines.

Just don't make a blanket statement that line length doesn't matter without being VERY specific.

Don W4DNR

Quoting TexasRF@aol.com:

Don, the swr at the 100 ohm end of the 75 ohm coax is 100/75=1.333.

In the case the 75 ohm coax is 1/4 wavelength long the impedance at the
other end is 75/1.333 or 56.26 ohms.

The swr at the 56.26 ohm end of the 75 ohm coax 75/56.26=1.333.

The swr anywhere along the 75 ohm coax is 1.333.

The swr inside the coax matters because it determines the what the end
impedance will be with a given source impedance.

It is not so much that we "care" what the swr is, but knowing the swr just
makes it easy to calculate what the load impedance will be with a given
source  impedance. It gives us a chance to use a little science instead
observing "the  magic".

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/14/2015 2:12:46 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,