Re: [Amps] {Collins} Understanding Screen Current in a Tetrode

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] {Collins} Understanding Screen Current in a Tetrode
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 21:26:57 -0500
I don't care for that JI answer since grid driven tetrodes are almost always run in AB1 where there is no grid current and in AB2 there is only a flicker of current on peaks but a lot more IMD. Tuning is via the screen and power meters and let the mike gain control take care of the grid. Just remember that AB1 is less efficient than AB2 or B...or C for that matter

Some tubes exhibit negative screen current, the 4CX1000A is known for that and it is normal under some conditions and right in the spec sheet. Many of the small 4X150 class exhibit negative screen current on VHF and if output doesn't increase when going positive it is OK.

I get a small amount of negative with a 6M NCL-2000 while tuning but output always peaks in the positive 10-15ma region for 1200W. There is no negative with the HF NCL's unless it is a sudden downward drift signaling an impending BANG; this is a fairly common fault with 8122's that have been beat hard and misused. They often work OK in the CW position at the lower plate and screen voltages and are still linear.

The AM-6155 I use on 432 and several of the AM-6154 and 6155's Ive converted or repaired for 144, 222, and 432 all show positive screens when loaded properly. The 8930 that is used is a 4CX250B with a bigger anode cooler and the Russian GS-36B/4CX400A is a direct replacement except for sometimes having to bend the plate cavity finger stock a hair; it performs the same.

Carl
KM1H