[Amps] What tube?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] What tube?
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:00:46 +0000
A question to all those of you who have used many different tubes:

What tube(s) would you recommend for a legal limit HF amplifier, to get as close as possible to the following goals:

- Class AB2 operation at high efficiency, low idling power, at acceptable IMD (doesn't need to be brilliant).

- Ideally grounded grid triode, but a tetrode with screen supply is acceptable if a GG triode won't do it.

- Instant-on filament, or at least quick heating (no more than 10 seconds).

- Easy cooling requirements, so that a low noise fan or blower can be used. Maybe conduction cooled or water cooled.

- Available and reasonably priced.

I know I'm asking to much, but I would like to analize the best options out
there!

Manfred