Re: [Amps] Do 8875's die fast after weakening?

To: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Do 8875's die fast after weakening?
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:09:52 -0500
I have experience with the MLA-2500 through my Dad (W5JHJ, SK 2007). It's a
good amp and makes about 1200 W out on it's best bands, which were 80-20 m if I
recall correctly.

The 8875s will last forever BUT they have very low grid dissipation limits (5 W
comes to mind) and no protection. The amp was poorly metered for grid current
from the factory -- my dad modified his so the grid current was 0.1 x the meter
reading so the meter actually defected.

The grids are gold plated, so If grid current is exceeded the gold vaporizes
and is deposited on the indirectly-heated cathode, poisoning the cathode and
reducing emission. This almost always is what happens to the tubes in an
MLA-2500.

If 600 W is all you need, you should also consider an AL-80A or B. The 3-500Z
is as close to bullet-proof as they come and replaceable.

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the
music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith