Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 148, Issue 15

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 148, Issue 15
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 17:19:24 -0400
Back when to me, there was an advantage to
overclock my computer as much as possible
while not throwing errors, I used water
cooling using what was called a "Cascade"
impingement block from it's maker in
Australia. Still have it...

As I was recording music with the computer
and it being in the same room as the
recording, I needed it to be dead quiet as
much as possible. After some consideration
I realized I didn't need a fan at all and
instead ran an Iwaki aquarium pump (in a
sound insulated container) in the far
corner of the room, connected to the water
cooled hear sinks on the computer with
cheap Tygon tubing bought on ebay. The
fluid was an antifreeze/water mix which
also prevented algae formation.

The heat from the processor and
northbridge/southbridge chips was lost
from the Tygon from and back to the
computer and the processor's core
temperature was always kept low and no fan
was ever used in the system. It was
flawless and lasted the 5 years I used the
computer.

My idea of water cooling to get rid of the
fan noise. It worked brilliantly if I do
say so myself.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> On 13/04/15 00:10, amps-request@contesting.com wrote:
> > The anode air cooler could be removed. In its place, a small copper (or
> > aluminum) liquid cooling block --considerably smaller than the original air
> > cooler-- could be made in a machine shop in a couple of hours.
> The cooling will be worse than air cooling, not better, as the ceramic
> and other parts of the tube have no cooling at all, unless I add a fan,
> which I dont want to do.  I want a fully integrated low-maintenance system.
>

> > I would use distilled water, and replace it regularly. It's cheap, readily
> > available, and is a better coolant.
> >
> And its a pain in the butt tocks always having to jigger with the amp.
> I build things so that I am more a liability to them than the other way
> around.
>
> Steve

---