[Amps] Oil v water cooling

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Oil v water cooling
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:44:05 -0600
On 4/17/15 10:00 AM, amps-request@contesting.com wrote:
Hi, I believe that not all "distilled water" is suitable for this, you may
need to specify "deionised water". The water conductivity needs regular checking, it will rise as it gets contaminated by traces of solder flux etc...I seem to remember where in a published design for a watercooled amplifier that about 6" from the tube anode that the plastic cooling pipe went through a brass coupler that had a meter connected between it and chassis ground to monitor leakage current.
Regards David G0FVT

Yes, exactly. The brass coupler and meter just insert a volt meter into the water pipe, to measure the actual leakage current, like measuring the voltage drop across a shunt. Getting it calibrated is the trick. If you have 6 inches of pipe from the brass sleeve to ground and now the diameter, can calculate the resistance for a given value of resistivity of water.

    As a retired* broadcast engineer with plenty of experience
maintaining vapor and water cooled transmitting tubes I highly
recommend ONLY "steam distilled" water over any deionized water.
Deionized water can contain dissolved minerals that the demonizing
process cannot remove, namely dissolved silicates which are plentiful
in Florida water.   (elsewhere I have no knowledge)
    These minerals do get deposited in the cooling circuit and an acid
rinse does not dissolve them.  (they are white glass like coating)

The literature from Varian + Eimac (CPI) and the other tube companies recommends deionized water. CPI website has this info in several app notes. By using proper resin bed followed by an oxygen removal stage, mineralization is not a problem. A continuous process through these bottles (available from Culligan and Cuneflow) will keep the water pure. This is industry practice, from companies like Continental Electronics to users such as our particle factory. In a closed loop system, the water must be continuously 'polished' this way, and the equipment is called, appropriately, the polishing loop. The bottles are replaced about once per year in the installations that I maintain/design.

Steam distilled water might be a good starting point, but I cannot imagine that the closed-loop process includes a distillery and the incipient energy consumption required to continuously boil and re- condense a large flow of water in real time.

    I will add that operating these high power tubes with water on their
collectors (through the Ammeter and overload relay coil) is made much
easier by grounding the collectors and supplying the high Voltage to
the cathode with the power supply terminal with the surplus of
electrons.  (the negative terminal)
> * after 50 years and 5 months.
> -- Ron KA4INM - Youvan's corollary: Every action results in unwanted
> side effects.

Indeed, Klystrons and IOTS are typically run that way, with the collector grounded or just off ground (to measure body current from the voltage between the body and the collector to see how much beam is being spilled). Then the negative HV is applied to a floating cathode/filament with isolated heater transformer.

For those of us using PGT (power grid tubes) though, we typically have B+ on the anode and have to insulate those pipes.

Oil vs water:
I like water only in that we always find leaks and water on the floor and equipment is a lot easier to clean up. The federal gov't doesn't like having oil spills, even indoors. Also, for the Specific Heat Capacity as Ron suggested.

73
John
K5PRO