Re: [Amps] Considering an ALS-1306

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Considering an ALS-1306
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 22:00:21 -0400
It's not who's right, it's who put in components such as the PS that are capable of running at tilt all day long. With tube amps it's normal for one that will run the legal limit all day long to be heavier, larger, more expensive, and capable of running substantially more than the legal limit, than many, or most "legal limit" amps that are not computer controlled. With the computer controlling the power they can build an amp capable of running the legal limit all day long, yet not run far more than the legal limit on SSB. Of course you pay for that extra capability.

I can think of two reasons for the above. To build a true legal limit tube amp with no time limit, the amp will likely be capable of 2 to 2.5 KW PEP (or more) and the FCC might frown on that. The other is "cheap"! They can claim it's a legal limit amp, which it is for SSB, but derated in other modes. They can run a lower plate voltage which also lets them use a smaller and lighter transformer. IOW, the time limit comes because of the components in the PS and is set by how hot they are willing to run the transformer. Of course there is the heat output as well. Ignoring other sources, at 60% efficient (give or take) you are going to run at least 2500 W input for 1000 watts of heat just from the plate efficiency. AB1 will give you even more. At 25% class A makes one whale of a space heater!

Some companies sell amps that have a higher output than the tubes are rated to put out, or they rate them at an output power that will drastically shorten the life of the tubes, not to mention as to what running them that way does to the IM. I can run the legal limit all day long with good IM figures as reported on the air and the transformer only gets warm. With lots of audio processing with my long winded transmissions, it will kick into high blower which I hardly notice in the shop, but you better be wearing a headset in this small den. Since I have operated here in the den most of the time over the past few years, I have used the amp only a couple of time because of the noise, but mostly because of the heat. This room gets uncomfortably warm because of the computers. With the amp, (in the summer) it gets downright miserable, so as soon as I get the shop reorganized the amp goes back out! The shop is one air conditioned room the size of my entire house, so a KW of heat isn't even noticed.

When the THP SS amp, it was quiet, instant on, or nearly so, and instant band change. I often wish I'd have kept it, although I do like the big amp (in the shop)

73

Roger  (K8RI)