Re: [Amps] Real danger to use the ORANGE button

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Real danger to use the ORANGE button
From: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 07:53:44 -0500
I did this with my TS-520 back in the mid 90's when I started running PSK31 and
RTTY. A 9V battery connected to the outside connections on a 10K linear taper
pot built in an Altoids tin.

Tuner the 520 for maximum smoke on SSB with thee "DX" switch off and dial the
power down to 30-40W PEP output. The rig was happy, it produced spectacular IMD
numbers so the PSK neighbors either side of my signal were happy, I was happy.

I've been thinking about buillding the HB 250/300W SS amp. The instability it
experienced on 80m was due to it's marginal power supply that would current
limit at 300W on that band. Feed it wuth a stiff 50V 20 amp power supply and it
should be golden. The LPF in that amp is a work of art. -60dB HF and -70dB 6m
harmonics. The IM3 measured -38 dB.

On Sun, 24 May 2015 21:46:19 -0700