Re: [Amps] Re-imagining the 30S-1

To: "Martin Sole (HS0ZED)" <martin@hs0zed.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re-imagining the 30S-1
From: Chris Wilson <chris@chriswilson.tv>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:18:31 +0100

Hello Martin,

On Monday, July 13, 2015,  you wrote:

> Thanks guys,

> Well in addition to the amp I do have a bucket full of 4CX1000 tubes,
> sooooooo!

> If baking out the transformer and other iron does pay off and if I can
> find someone who can paint match and if I can find another psu tray and
> if I can find the other little doo dads then a restoration is definitely
> on the cards. I would perhaps prefer that. It will look nice with the
> rest of the S line. I have the SS rectifier plug ins so that's not a
> problem. Time to make so iron heat up a little I guess and see what happens.

> Tnx
> Martin, HS0ZED

I bought a damp stored 240 to 6kV HV transformer, and to dry it I
connected a mains driven variac to the HV side winding and two
paralleled 12V car headlamp bulbs to the primary side, and adjusted
the variac until it was running mildly warm, and left it running for a
few weeks. Worked fine, after that process. Maybe something
similar could dry it out from the "inside out" for yours?

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv